Thursday, September 17, 2026

browser games



Ever since my father graciously gave me his old work PC, I’ve been obsessed with online browser games.

​I used to sink hours into staring at my virtual animals in a virtual zoo or watching virtual crops grow (though I'm saddened to admit my attention span has steadily degraded ever since).

​Growing up in a small eastern european country definitely shaped what I played. Games like neopets or club penguin were never really popular here (or at least not at my school, which was my whole world back then) so I ended up playing some relatively niche online games.



Around the age of 10 my favorites were zoomumba and farmerama. Zoomumba, as the name suggests, was this funky zoo tycoon browser game. I was distraught when I found out it has shut down (damn you all for taking away adobe flash players from us!!!)

To my surprise, farmerama actually managed to survive the death of flash. 
I was even able to retrieve my prehistoric account, although logging in today just doesn't hit the same. I remember that when I was younger, the game used to feel massive. There was always something to do. When I logged into my old account after all those years, I was hit by a massive wave of nostalgia.

Unfortunately, that feeling wore off after about ten minutes. My adult mind could now recognize all those classic greedy tactics designed to squeeze as much money out of players through microtransactions as possible. Some things are better left off in the past I guess.


Something about coming home from 6 hours of elementary school and booting up dad's computer to play a browser game was just magical.

What are your browser game throwbacks? Tell me in the comments!

- Tess



No comments:

Post a Comment