Wednesday, September 23, 2026

so… what did law school actually teach me?

what . . . like it's hard?


It's been almost half a year since I graduated from law school. It still feels a little surreal not having to worry about exams, being cold called in class, or trying to memorize hundreds and hundreds of pages.

But what did law school actually teach me?

I mean, the obvious answer would be law... and to some degree, it did teach me that. Although, if I'm being fair, I feel like a lot of the time it was me teaching myself the law.

So instead, I wanted to write about some of the lessons law school taught me that might not be quite so obvious at first glance. And here they are:

1. Public speaking 

I'm innately an introverted person. Especially when it comes to speaking in front of larger groups. But law school has a way of forcing you out of that shell and pushing you way past your comfort zone. It was genuienly nerve wracking the first few times I got cold called in class. 

I get chills down my spine just remembering how I used to stutter when answering . . . 

It got easier overtime though. I still get that familiar pit in my stomach when I speak in public, but I got used to speaking despite being nervous.

2. How to survive not being the smartest person in the room

Coming from high school, where I'd considered myself one of the brighter kids in class, law school was sometimes a humbling experience. Suddenly, I wasn't that person anymore.

I was surrounded by people who were just as capable, ambitious, and hardworking as I was, and often much better than me at things I thought I was good at. Sometimes I'd try to keep up with them, but it often came at the expense of my own mental health.

I've never really done badly in law school, I got straight As on my final oral exams (except for corporate law, where I got a B... sighhhhh). But I was never quite as perfect as some of my classmates seemed to be.

Coming to terms with the fact that I wasn't going to be the best at everything was difficult. But eventually, I think it taught me that not being the smartest person in the room isn't necessarily a bad thing.

3. How to research properly

One of the most useful things law school taught me was not to take every piece of information I come across as the truth, even when it comes from a seemingly trustworthy source.

It taught me discernment - to question where information comes from, whether the source is actually reliable, and whether what I'm reading is still relevant. Laws change, court decisions can be overturned or interpreted differently, and even respected sources can sometimes be outdated or simply wrong.

Law school taught me to trust my gut when something doesn't quite add up. That feeling of "....wait....is this actually correct?" usually means it's worth digging a little deeper.

4. How to fail

Although it fortunately didn't happen often, sometimes I did get terrible scores or bad feedback on my tests and papers. As a perfectionist It genuienly hurt me emotionally when It happened. I remember going back to my apartement from campus and crying uncontrolably the whole way home. 

Having a thick skin is definitely one of the most important attributes a lawyer can have. To not take your failures as personally and instead use them as stepping stones on your way to success.

5. How to find a loving boyfriend

This last one might actually be the most important.

Just like Elle Woods found her soulmate in law school, so did I <3

Meeting him was genuinely one of the biggest blessings law school gave me. And, even better, unlike everything else on this list, I didn't even have to study for it

Law school was the most stressful, but also one of the most fulfilling, parts of my life so far. I learned a lot about myself, about the people around me, and about life in general. The lessons I took away from those years are honestly priceless.

If you're thinking about applying to law school, I say go for it!

Love,

Tess

3 comments: